Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Hometown Pride by @elle_rush

I have been to New York City. (Well, I've been to Manhattan and done a bus tour of the island). I have been to Los Angeles (and done a bus tour of some of the sites). (Bus tours are awesome, by the way, for seeing a lot of a city in a short time period.) The little time I've spent in those cities have given me the smallest sliver of recognition when I read a book set in one of these locations.

And, have you noticed, a huge majority of books are set there? (And TV shows. Almost all the TV shows.) It's almost as if stories don't happen beyond the city limits of a major American metropolis.

That is one of the reasons I decided to set my River City Heroes series in Winnipeg, my hometown. Winnipeg isn't teeming with millions of people; there are about seven hundred thousand. It also has a small-town mentality. You don't need six degrees of separation to find somebody who knows your friend. Two should do. Our neighbourhoods are pretty distinct, which takes local flavour to a whole new level. And we have four seasons, which is a nice opportunity to write, rather than sunshine and good weather 365 days a year.

I also get to use Canadian spellings. Long live the "U" in colour, neighbour, and the like!

Winnipeg has the reputation for being the coldest city in the world; I know this. "Winterpeg". "Winnipeg - come for the culture. Stay because your car won't start." "Winnipeg and the four seasons: winter, still winter, almost winter, and construction."  And then there are the mosquito jokes. But I love my hometown dearly and I'm glad for the chance to show it off.

I just released the third book in my River City Heroes series, which wraps up the Calendar Killer trilogy. From East Kildonan to St. Norbert, my characters cover the city, trying to stop a madman's murder spree.

I hope you check it out.


f Constable Brendan Booker wants his temporary assignment to the Homicide Division to become permanent, he needs to up his game. He knows he can play a bigger role in catching the Calendar Killer, but it would be easier to approach his inspector if he weren’t sleeping with the man’s daughter.

Rookie EMT Audrey Holland is tired of having to prove herself: to her new teammates, to her empty-nester father, and to her new boyfriend. The sooner they all learn she can take care of herself, the sooner she can do her part in taking care of her city.

With the net closing on Winnipeg’s most prolific murderer, the killer grows more desperate and unpredictable. Neither of them can afford any distractions, or they risk letting the Calendar Killer take them both out in his final blaze of glory.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748158VX/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=wwwellerush0d-20&linkId=07707ee7711e6609d0705d139ab9ed7e
Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/capture-35
B&N: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/capture-elle-rush/1127065773?ean=2940154903988

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Elle_Rush_Capture?id=hFg0DwAAQBAJ&hl=en 

The iBooks link is taking forever but you will be able to find it there eventually - I promise!

Capture is Book 3 of the Calendar Killer trilogy. The romance is stand-alone but the series is best read in order.
Book 1: Pursuit
Book 2: Entrap

No comments:

Post a Comment